Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Seafair Triathlon '04 (My first!)

7/19/04
Placed 3rd in Age Group (45-49)
Swim 14:17
T1 2:11
Bike 38:41
T2 1:10
Run 25:59

Total: 1:22:19

This was a “warm up” race I did just to get some experience under my belt before the Danskin the following month; something to see what a tri was like without the pressure or expectation of striving for some goal. Well, I did have a goal of doing well in the swim since I expected that to be my strongest leg of the race. But I wasn’t really prepared for the chaos of a crowded swim start and wondered just what I had got myself into. But I shook it off and finished the race with a nice surprise: placing in my age group! Sandy L. was on the podium taking 2nd in AG and I could tell she was wondering just who the hell this newcomer was. She later became one of my main rivals and a triathlon buddy and we enjoy an email and race-day friendship.

I have no picture from Seafair '04, but thought I'd insert something not triathlon related so as to attempt to portray a somewhat balanced life. The photo is from Mothers Day '05; that's my girl Camille, me and my mom (and a CAKE!).

The following is an excerpt from an email to Mary Meyer in July '04. Mary offers local triathlon/open water clinics & workouts here in Seattle and I had attended several in preparation for racing. I picked up a lot of valuable information to carry into my first race:

A quick "Thanks!" for the tips and training you offer in your clinics. I did my first triathlon yesterday (Seafair) and I felt confident and organized through the transitions (never mind the gasping for air or the jelly legs). I saw so many people struggling and running through the end of the swim in waist-deep water. Swimming/crawling in to shin-deep was a breeze!

I exceeded my goal and even my wildest hopes by placing 3rd in my division (45-49 females). Holy cow! There's always more to do to pick up speed and lessen the feeling of falling apart with fatigue (oh, and I did experience a few moments of near-panic in the start of the swim - kind of overwhelming, but I remembered you saying "rope it in" and the feeling passed).

I'm very happy about this first triathlon experience. Thanks again for helping with the training.

No comments: