Monday, September 24, 2007

Oktober in September & Sub-7

Fremont Oktoberfest 5K
9/23/07

Official time: ??? 22:08 ????
My watch time: 21:38 (~6:58 pace)

I dragged Camille out of her warm bed a couple years ago to "Run with the Elves" at the kid's version of the Jingle Bell Run. She refuses to join me for any more of that early, cold winter morning nonsense! The expression on her face kind of says it all.

After my new and improved run pace at last week's Kirkland Triathlon, I started to believe in the possibility of a sub-7 pace for a 5K. The Fremont Oktoberfest 5K seemed like just the ticket, since it is a fairly flat course and this year, for the first time, a full-5K distance.

I biked a somewhat hilly 38 miles the day before and enjoyed more wine than I am accustomed to that evening, but thought I'd just drop on into this race and see what I might accomplish. Maybe I was a little too excited, because when I heard "5, 4, 3, 2, 1..." and took off running I was abruptly stopped by shouts from the pack behind me informing me that was the Beer Belly Division that had just sent off. DUH! The good news is that no one let me continue, mistaking me for an actual Beer Belly participant, prestigious as that may be.

My beer belly:

From the race web site:
"Beer Belly Division:
Don’t let that Beer Belly stop you from running! Join the elite Beer Belly Division, where you will be treated like Oktoberfest royalty.
If you are asking yourself, “How do I become a member of this highly acclaimed group of runners?” the answer is jump on a scale and see if you are qualified for this prestigious position. Those men who are 200 lbs. plus and women who are 160 lbs. and over are eligible to enter this division. Besides earning the respect and admiration of fellow racers who recognize your achievements, you will be honored with an unfair advantage of starting first, and thus ensuring your possibility of getting to the beer garden finish line before the pack!"

The bad news is that I crossed the timing mat on that false start, which will have started my "clock" via the timing chip, even though I stopped, went back and started with the main group 30 seconds later. Unless the timing company agrees to adjust my time by that 30 second difference (hopefully they'll see the 2 starts that my timing chip will have registered), I will be stuck with an "official" time of 22:08 giving me a pace of 7:08 or so. (Adjusting my time will not be any priority for them since there was a larger than expected turnout and the race started with probably half the pack having no bib number or timing chip. They will have a nightmare sorting that all out!).
According to my watch, my actual time was 21:38, which would have given me a 6:58 pace! So regardless of official results and where I might end up in the placing, I am quite happy to have achieved another PR! Some of the other races I plan to do this fall will not have as flat a course, so I will probably be kissing goodbye the sub-7 pace for awhile. It was nice to know you. Maybe further on down the road, another time?
Anyone want a cat? Two cats? Lil' Orange Feller was making typing at the keyboard quite challenging. He's one of my current foster kitties (I also have the low-maintenance Sassafrass). Do click on and enlarge the photo on the left to warm your cat-lovin' heart (if you have one). I will tell you all about my fostering and former Crazy Cat Lady phase another time. For now, if you know anyone looking for a nice cat or two...

2 comments:

Laura H said...

Hey Karen-

Got your message on my blog! That was fun today even though they screwed up massively on the number of chips etc. I almost didn't sign up when I saw that crowd - holy moly! But I am glad I did it and happy to report no woozy feelings after the race! I had done Irongirl 5K and jogged there from home. I thought I was going to pass out before the raca started- but it passed. This one felt much better - more like my old self again!

Ann said...

That ain't no beer belly ! i can show you the real thing.

that's a funny line about the 4th leg of a tri.... checking out the results..

sub 7's..... awesome. i can do that, for one lap of the track... then reality sets in. keep up the good work.