Sunday, November 25, 2007

Skipped the Half

I like this picture of my girl (when she was 9), though it has nothing whatsoever to do with today's blog topic:

"Did you run this morning?"
That's what about half a dozen people asked me when I showed up at the end of the Sunday morning masters swim workout (I showed up late planning to jump into the shorter non-masters workout at 11:00). They meant the Seattle Half Marathon.

I had been kind of fatigued a few weeks back and more recently had been getting some tachycardia in the middle of moderate effort runs (my heart rate would shoot up from low-160's to mid-170's or 180's without any increase in pace or incline; it's something I feel immediately and my HR monitor confirms it). I'm not sure what's going on with that and probably should see a doctor about it, but for now, decided that training for and running the Half wasn't a good idea.

Once I decided not to do the race, I enjoyed my unstructured, less frequent and less intense workouts. Swimming felt great, I did some running and I even opted for some long, fast-paced walks & talks with neighborhood friends in lieu of running. Sleeping in with my two cats tucked around me this cold morning, instead of being out the door in the dark and facing the mid-30's chill was appreciated too. It wasn't until the questions from swimmers that I felt a twinge of regret, but it was quickly replaced by the enjoyment of a good swim and awaiting checking results to see how friends did. Tick Tock... those results aren't quite up yet despite the teaser on the web page. Well, Ann & Gina ran today and probably don't really care how they did since they followed their yearly tradition of getting on a plane headed for Maui a few hours after the race. I hope to follow their sensible example one of these days...

1 comment:

Laura H said...

There was a SNAFU with the timing mats at the start - apparently too many people going over it (according to an e-mail from the race folks sent to a friend who had signed up to get her time). Hope they get it fixed ASAP - many people are depending on their BQ times!

I did a 3/4 marathon - ran from home, did a very easy half, and ran home for about 20 miles (19.97, according to Ms. Garmin). It was good weather for running, but I am so glad you listened to your body and slept in. I saw one guy passed out on the sidewalk in the last mile (attended to by medics) - not a good sign.

Also, I saw Ann and Gina at the expo and was thinking about tying their shoe laces to slow them down! ;-)