Tuesday, November 6, 2007

See Lori run. Run, Lori, run.

My "Danskin '04" story was posted in September and I talked about my first triathlon and why I did it. Preceding that first triathlon season, were a couple of years of getting reintroduced to running with my friend Lori.

When I first knew Lori, around 1992 or so, she didn't run. As far as I could tell, she didn't exercise, let alone "train". I think she took walks. And she tended her asthma. I remember her needing to use her inhalers from time to time. She was a slim, stylish person who I'm guessing didn't even sweat. I wasn't doing any "training" at the time either. I did aerobics classes, played softball, did a little backpacking or cycling, just recreational stuff which kept me fit and gave me a general sense of invulnerability.

Well, as I recall, Lori's walks got more serious and fitness oriented. Somewhere along the line it morphed into jogging around Green Lake. She invited me to join, so I did my first run in years. I was humbled as she kept a steady pace and I had to stop and walk a few times, not even making it around Green Lake! Competitiveness aside, I was shocked and dismayed that I couldn't make it around GL without a breather. I ran a few more times with her, maybe 4 times in as many months and got to where I could do the 2.7 mile loop without stopping. Meanwhile, Lori was doing fartleks, a term neither of us had ever heard of (and probably she still hasn't). She would sprinkle her run with short bursts of increased speed here and there and leave me in the dust ("speed play" is what fartlek means in what...Swedish or something?).

Lori had a few 5K races under her belt by the time I joined her at one. I believe it was the Firefighter's Salmon Derby Days out at Shilshole in 2003. She beat me by at least a minute or two and while I don't remember my time, it was something up around 27 minutes, near a 9 min/mile pace. Well, it was a starting point. I still didn't "train", but I did run maybe monthly, did a few more races and got a little faster. We continued to run together from time to time and went together to several races as friends and competitors. She was soon in the next age group up from me and won her AG the Dawg Dash one year and placed in a few other races!

My slim, stylish friend is still slim and stylish, but I've seen her sweat on many occasions now, I've seen her breathe hard, get red in the face and it hasn't been because of an asthma flare. She gets a lot of enjoyment in shopping for new workout clothes (and has ventured beyond basic black), has a piece of real estate in her aerobics class (you know, don't put your bench there) and has generally impressed me with what a robust change she's made in herself! In the off-season when I put on a couple extra holiday lbs., I can feel like a cow next to her.

I credit Lori for being my main influence for rousing what was a dormant competitiveness and unrealized athletic potential (such as it is for a middle-aged late bloomer). I might not have gotten beyond bench class without her nudge.

These days, we run together less often. She still runs and races but she devotes much of her time to Sadie, her "paint" horse. Here they are out near Mt. Si.













No comments: