Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ghost of Halloween Past

On the theme of Halloween, here's something a little spooky:

Remember the movie "The Stepford Wives"? Here is a photo of "The Stepford First-Graders". Notice how eerily docile and cooperative they look, waiting obediently for their teacher to call them in for the start of the school day. "We're ready to learn, teach us". Weird. Could the parents of each of these children have sedated them all on the same day? There's Alina in her dress-for-success attire. Camille is on the right and would NOT put on anything new or that she isn't starting to outgrow even for the first day of school. And there's the always-practical Carolyn, lunchbox and raincoat at-the-ready.

Now this is more like it. Camille going off to school as Ellwood from the "Blues Brothers". I hope it was Halloween or something. Check out her fingers, she's a stickler for authenticity.

More past Halloweens:








Back when I was a Good Mother, I actually sewed a few costumes for my little girl. Here is a clown, a princess and a witch. Real original, huh?














Here's a college dorm party, 1977. Me, an evil fairy or something.





A few years later, maybe 1987, oh! it's me being an evil fairy again. And that's my brother Tommy (Tom to the rest of you) as "Captain Crud" (an insider joke about skiing, I think).




Later still, 1991, I was in the mood for rape and pillage so donned this Viking warrior queen thing. I'm especially proud of the attention to detail - notice the bushy blond armpit tuft. A couple Wild Turkeys and I'm battle cry-ready.



Camille was an "Old Lady Vampire" here. I'm not sure what she is here with her dad as a Rastafarian.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Look at you in that viking outfit! :)

Karen said...

Yeah, the Viking costume, or maybe "Miss October"? 16 years ago! I was just back from a month in Greece, tanned and 10 lbs lighter than my usual. I got a lot of "wows" that night too, but sadly, I had to admit that those breast-plates were about 95% hollow. Dead space. Nada. All show, just an illusion. But it was really fun to wear and I had a great time dancing and partying. Why don't I do that stuff anymore?